Do you have it in you to be a hero?
Heroes face some predictable obstacles. They go on quests to meet a goal or a challenge. They encounter seemingly insurmountable obstacles and setbacks. They are confronted with their own demons, they struggle with their limitations and they’re forced to learn how to harness their own inner reserves. Typically, they face great odds, survive battles and overcome the obstacles they encounter—and they emerge from all these challenges humble, proud, iron willed, more complex, stronger and more self-confident.
Speaking of which, how are you doing confronting the obstacles facing you so that you can meet your own goals and dreams? How are you handling your own setbacks? Confronting your own demons? Overcoming your limitations? Are you harnessing your own inner reserves to the best of your ability in order to give yourself the best chances succeeding?
This is what you need to do if you want to be your own hero:
- Always have something you’re questing after out in front of you—something you value, hope for or dream about—that you’re actively, not passively, pursuing.
- Keep your eye on the ball, and go after achieving those goals or dreams. Stay focused and don’t give up, regardless of the obstacles you encounter or the villains you are forced to battle.
- Face your own fears, limitations and inner demons with strength and courage. Courage says “I may be afraid, but all the same, I will find a way to face this challenge and not let these obstacles defeat me.”
- Be in control of your negative emotions and how you express them, including anger, rage, hostility, fear, anxiety, depression, hurt, helplessness, victimhood and any compulsive behaviors that get in your way.
- Be kind, compassionate and caring to people, especially those people you love and care about. It is vital to keep your important relationships healthy. You need those people.
- Be compassionate and caring toward yourself, your emotions, your mistakes, your missteps, your regrets and your dreams.
- Believe in yourself and your ability to ultimately prevail, and don’t let unforeseen obstacles or setbacks diminish your inner spirit or the fire within .
- Don’t let your resentments, hurts, envies, jealousies or disappointments get the better of you.
- Challenge yourself to do what’s hard, not what’s easy.
- Regrets in life come, in part, from not trying your hardest. Therefore, always give your best to achieve your most cherished goals. Always give 100%.
The more difficult something is, the more rewarding it is when you overcome the obstacles in your path, persevere and ultimately triumph against all odds. Being your own hero is about believing in yourself, overcoming your challenges, setbacks, stumbling blocks, fears and low self-confidence—attempting to have the best life you can—and not giving up until you’ve achieved your dreams.
May the Force be with you.